Monday, October 6, 2008

Fireproof Day 8

DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING
What do you have to lose?

There's an old commercial that used to say, "TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT! That's my encouragement to you today. And I would ask you, what do you have to lose?

You see, you'll never get better until you're willing to start where you are now. You can't start where you want to be eventually because, and I fear a 'duh' moment here; you're not there yet. And this is a fact: You'll never get there until you start where you are now by doing the NEXT RIGHT THING - not step 10 but step 1! What is that for most of us?

Begin by praying for the person God wants you to become - not for God to change the other person you're trying to love. Jesus gave us this instruction:

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Matthew 7:3 (ESV)

What I've found is that the person's change that will make the most difference in my happiness, is me! It's like getting a new set of glasses; it just clears everything up when I get my vision straightened out. Then I can see what's up close (myself) as well as at a distance (my relationships) and what it will take to place all of them under Christ's guidance and control. When we do this, lots of things will change, but mostly me.

Have you started your Love Dare Challenge? We ran out of books yesterday but it's not too late to order. How about getting some as gifts for your married children or grandchildren?

Until tomorrow,

Pastor Steve

LOVE DARE CHALLENGE - WEEK 2

HUSBANDS: EVERY DAY THIS WEEK, ASK THE LORD TO SHOW YOU ONE WAY TO LOVE YOUR WIFE, AND THEN DO IT.

WIVES: EVERY DAY THIS WEEK, ASK THE LORD TO SHOW YOU ONE WAY TO LOVE YOUR HUSBAND, AND THEN DO IT.

SINGLES: MAKE A LIST (RIGHT NOW) OF 6 FAMILY MEMBERS, FRIENDS OR CO-WORKERS AND ASSIGN A DAY TO EACH OF THEM. THEN, EVERY DAY THIS WEEK, ASK THE LORD TO SHOW YOU ONE WAY TO LOVE THE PERSON OF THE DAY, THEN DO IT.

No comments: