Monday, October 6, 2008

Fireproof Day 15

Backtracking
Seeking the Right Counsel


How often have you found yourself going the wrong way and trying to backtrack to where you started in seeking to discover where you are now so you'll know how to get to where you're going? It's especially true with us guys. We'll go to any length not to stop and ask for help or directions. Why? Because we don't want to feel we've failed at anything we attempt, and to ask for help is many times, an admission of failure to succeed. Weird, huh? That's just our basic human nature, albeit a bad one. We're afraid we're going to ask a dumb question or have someone think we can't handle a given situation on our own. Let me see...has that not been the problem of mankind that started this downward spiral in the first place?

So in relationships, if your lost or feeling like you don't know how to get to where you want to go, what's a man (or woman) to do? ASK! Ask who? Someone who's been there and made good decisions already, or a professional in the area of advice you're seeking.

I'm amazed at the number of people who, while hanging around others who are going through problems or have already gone through the world's remedy for relationships called divorce, will begin to see divorce as "greener grass" and immediately they too try to get into that pasture, just to find out it's painted concrete and very, very hard.

What is the remedy for poor advice?

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:1-2 (ESV)

Rather than making a hasty and poor decision, do what we all have to learn to do (yes, ALL of us), and say this to God:

I can't handle this and I don't want to make the wrong decision. So I'm seeking Your counsel through Your Word and those who've made good decisions in the past that you've placed in my life to help me know what to do. I don't trust myself right now because I'm too vulnerable to the pain of the situation I'm in. So knowing I'm a child of God, under the blood of Christ, I yield myself and this potential life altering decision to You. AMEN.

Until Tomorrow,

Pastor Steve

No comments: