Monday, October 6, 2008

Fireproof Day 1

Well, it didn't take long before I... Blew it!

Yep, I know it's hard to believe but it happened. I took the LOVE DARE CHALLENGE I gave everyone else yesterday from our new series, Fireproof. Just in case you don't remember them, here they are:

THE LOVE DARE CHALLENGE:

WIVES: WHAT MAKES YOUR HUSBAND FEEL RESPECTED BY YOU? AND THEREFORE, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO THIS WEEK TO MAKE HIM FEEL RESPECTED BY YOU? HUSBANDS: WHAT MAKES YOUR WIFE FEEL LOVED? AND THEREFORE, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO THIS WEEK TO MAKE HER FEEL LOVED BY YOU? SINGLES: IN YOUR WORK, SCHOOL, OR HOME ENVIRONMENT, WHOSE LIFE WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADD VALUE TO BY GIVING THEM GREATER LOVE OR RESPECT? WHAT CAN YOU DO THIS WEEK TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN?

So my week was going to be perfect, right? I determined I would make this a week special by being the most agreeable, lovable, sensible, caring, passionate, devoted guy in the world. As I was leaving the house this morning, I remembered a note I'd made to myself that I'd left in our bathroom. When I went to get it I mumbled to Marylin in the shower what I was doing. Upon requesting me to repeat what I'd said I snapped and said (in a less than loving way because I was in a hurry), "I HAD TO GET THIS NOTE I MADE MYSELF! Love you - see you later," and left. About the time I arrived in Paris it hit me (Holy Spirit with a 2X4) what a sharp tongue I'd had. So rather than stew on it or argue myself out of it, I immediately called her and apologized for my less than loving response in a situation she could neither help nor asked for.

But hey, learn from me guys. If you blow it, don't wait! When God reveals your heart - run with it. My apology was received with grace, even though it was not asked for.

So, maybe - just maybe - I got off to a good start after all!


Pastor Steve

No comments: