Friday, June 6, 2008

DEAL OR NO DEAL?

I was in business with two of my cousins for years in the farm machinery business. One of them, Larry used to say to our potential sales leads,

"Boy! Have I got a deal for you!"

He got more people to listen that way as he prepared them for the GREAT news of what he wanted to "help" them with. Oh, they knew he was trying to sell them something, but just the fact that there was a "deal" involved made it worth the listen.
This weekend, "...have I got a deal for you!" And it's a deal for anyone else you might bring with you as well. As a matter of fact - you get to choose! DEAL OR NO DEAL? But we do that everyday don't we? When we choose to either reject or follow God's will he has placed in us or to stubbornly go about our own way which is in essence saying to God - "NO DEAL! I'll take my chances on something better coming along." How many times I've watched that show and said, "Take the deal dummy! Take the deal!" But alas, how many walked away with only an "if only I'd taken the deal" summation.
Don't do life without God. He has a deal for you and a plan to help you grow as you get to know Him better. When he offers - "Take the deal..." well, okay...I'll stop short of "dummy" although to turn down what God offers and take the worlds offer instead? Maybe dummy would be an appropriate name for all of us when we choose our way over God's way.

See you this weekend! Have I got a deal for you!

Pastor Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve, in your messages (and especially yesterday's "Deal or No Deal" message) you refer to the Life Groups re-visiting "40 Days of Purpose" in preparation to "40 Days of Love" in September. I wanted to thank whoever had the idea of doing this; it makes it easier to daily focus on God when you're held accountable for reading the chapters and verses and then discussing them with the other memmbers of the Group. I tend to get distracted from God's Purpose when I'm by myself unless I have a structured study guide like "40 Days", and Rick very gently leads me to understand God's Five Purposes for me.

Thanks again,
Monte