Wednesday, September 9, 2009

WAR OF THE WORLDS - Day 3

Failed Testimonies

This morning I received this twitter from @RickWarren:

"In the presence of a psychiatrist, I can only be a sick man; in the presence of a Christian brother, I can dare to be a sinner." Bonhoeffer

Maybe this is what Paul understood and why he was able to say:

"I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it." Romans 7:19-20 (NLT)

When Paul says, "it is sin living in me" he's not making an excuse, justifying himself, saying "the devil made me do it." He's just realizing the fact that when you're a Christian there are two natures in your life - your good nature that God gives you and wants to serve the Lord and your old nature that doesn't want to serve the Lord. Paul's just being honest about it.

I love the testimonies at TVCC because they all include a brief description of failures. The problem with 'success' testimonies is that they set up an unrealistic standard and everybody thinks, "I must not be normal as a Christian." Do you have every prayer answered? I don't. Do you always do what God wants you to do? I don't. Do you sometimes fail? I do.

Maybe we don't like to admit it, but there's room for failure in the Christian life. Paul quoted Christ when he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness."

AMEN!

TOMORROW Part 4 - When you doubt, spit it out!

No comments: