Monday, September 7, 2009

WAR OF THE WORLDS – Day 1

Join the parade!

Paul made an honest evaluation of himself in Romans 7:24, followed by an equally powerful question in verse 25. He looked at his struggle between the old nature and the new nature and then cried out, O, wretched man that I am! Because Paul recognized the conflict going on inside, he knew he was at war and there would have to be an all out invasion in order to rescue him from his present condition. So he asked, Who will rescue me from this body of death? Could Paul have victory in his life? Can we? How do we not only know about, but actually embrace and live the Christian life to the fullest? It begins with an honest evaluation of who we are and the struggles we face.

The first realization we need in order to win the war is to admit we are confused. We must admit that we don’t have all the answers. Then, stop trying to impress others by acting as if you have victory over every sin in your life. You don’t and neither do I and neither did Paul. Paul not only admitted it but he also wrote it down for all future generations. He spilled his guts so everybody could read it for thousands of years. He says I’m struggling; I can’t do what I really want to do.

The way to victory is to do as Paul did and admit the only cure:

Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord… Romans 7:25 (NIV)

But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57 (ESV)

But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. 2 Corinthians 2:14 (ESV)

Join the parade! Our victory is not in what we’re going to be able to accomplish but in what Christ, our Victor, has already accomplished for us. When we praise Him for it, it is the faith that the victory is already ours, even though we haven’t fully realized it yet. When we humbly admit that we don’t have all the answers, we free Him up to lift us up and give us the victory.

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:10 (NKJV)

Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I finally kinow what dying to self means. I must do this daily. I have been praying for taming my tongue and I thankyou for praying with me. We have been going through some hard family problems, and I am learning not to say what I think but what God wants to say. God Bless you for your teachings Barbara