Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Abigail's Overflowing Joy


Sunday, October 24, 2010 will be a day we will remember as long as we remember. As my 9 year old granddaughter, Abigail James was baptized after signing her testimony of faith in Christ, we all learned a valuable lesson: The greatest disabilities are ours when we fail to embrace the majesty and overflowing joy of God in the life of His children.

As the time for the baptism was approaching, I drew Abigail to me where I was seated and asked, "Abigail, do you know Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior?" To which she replied in her high pitched voice (common in children born with Cri du chat syndrome) "Yeah!" I said "Yes you do! Why, I can even see Jesus in your beautiful blue eyes." Abigail immediately went to her mom, Angie (our oldest daughter) and using sign language made the sign for water. Angie said, "Oh, your eyes are blue like the ocean water!" "Yeah" Abigail said with joy.

Then Abigail did something that I didn't understand but will never forget. As she placed her eye right next to her mom's ear, Angie said, "Oh, you want me to hear the sound of the water in your eyes!" "Yeah!!!" Abigail exclaimed. Then she applauded our ability to understand this wonderful picture she'd just given us.

The baptism team in the room understood it too as Valerie Rice said, "I can certainly hear the water in my eyes" and we all shed tears of overflowing joy. The lesson learned this day? Trust the love of the Father through the eyes of His children. When you do, you might learn the lesson and hear the water in your eyes too!

But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.”
Matthew 19:14 (NLT)

Click here to view Abigail's baptism.

No comments: